Horse Shows and Associations
If you are interested in Horse Showing this is a useful guide to the major Virginia horse shows and the local and regional associations that govern them.
- The Keswick Horse Show
- The Deep Run Horse Show
- The Middleburg Classic Horse Show
- The Virginia Horse Center
- The Virginia Horse Show Association
- Battlefield Horse Show Association
- Central Virginia Show Jumping Association
Three Day Eventing
If Eventing is more your speed this list should help you identify major competitions held at local Charlottesville horse farms and Charlottesville area facilities and major venues in the area available for training and schooling.
- The Virginia Horse Trials
- Grayson Farm
- Plain Dealing Farm
- Central Virginia Combined Training Association
- Commonwealth Dressage and Combined Training Association
There is such a wide variety of great equestrian athletes in the area. Several of the most beautiful Charlottesville horse farms are owned by top class riders and trainers in the classical dressage discipline.
- Virginia Dressage Association
- Lexington Spring Dressage
- Virginia Summer Dressage
- Dressage at Lexington
The Charlottesville area is one of the most beautiful in the world and the best way to see it is from horse back. Not only are there many parks and wildlife areas that provide trail riding opportunities for local equestrians, but there are also local clubs and competitive trail riding groups and organizations.
- American Competitive Trail Horse Association
- Virginia Trail Riders INC.
- Horse Back Riding at Bear Creek Lake State Park
- High Bridge Trail State Park
- Holliday Lake State Park
- James River State Park
- Pocahontas State Park
Going to a Polo match is a great way to spend an evening or weekend afternoon. Tailgating at one of the venues located around Charlottesville horse country is a great way to entertain clients or just an enjoyable weekend outing in a family friendly setting.
Virginia was the Birth Place of Secretariat, the greatest race horse who ever lived. As a result, horse racing is still very much a part of Virginia’s horse culture. We have one of the finest flat tracks on the east coast located just a short drive from Charlottesville. In Spring and Fall the Point to Point and Steeplechase circuit is in full swing and provide many tailgating opportunities at historic farms and estates in Albemarle and surrounding counties.
- Colonial Downs Racetrack
- The Foxfield Races
- The Montpelier Hunt Races
- The Virginia Gold cup
- The Middleburg Spring Races
- The Virginia Fall Races
- The Virginia Steeplechase Association
- The Virginia Racing Commission
Horse parks and Museums
Because of Charlottesville and Virginia’s long history with horses there are several wonderful museums dedicated to the horse within a short drive and make a wonderful day trip for the family or equine enthusiast.
- The Meadow Event Park
- Equine Extravaganza Equestrian Festival and Expo
- Virginia Horse Center Foundation
- American Work Horse Museum
- Heritage Farm Museum
- National Sporting Library and Museum
If you like to ride to hounds then you have found the right spot! There are many hunts that frequently meet at local Charlottesville horse farms and many more that are a short commute from Albemarle county. Virginia Hunt week is an attraction that hunts all over the state participate in and attracts riders from all over the country. Tally ho!
- Virginia Hunt Week
- Virginia Field Hunter Championships
- Farmington Hunt Club
- Keswick Hunt Club
- Bull Run Hunt Club
- Thorton Hill Fort Valley Hounds
- Oakridge Hunt Club
- Deep Run Hunt Club
While you can always order from one of the major catalogs like Smartpak or Bit of Britain Charlottesville is lucky to be home to an actual Dover retail store and we have several other privately owned tack stores within a short commute. All are excellent resources for providing the necessities of caring for a horse, but most also provide unique equestrian themed gifts and presents.
- Dover Saddlery
- Champion Saddlery
- Horse Country
- Middleburg Tack Exchange
- The Tack Box
- Saddlery Liquidators
- Bit N’ Bridle Tack Shop
There are a whole host of Veterinarians that serve Charlottesville farms and Estates. Some are great for your routine vaccinations and check up. Charlottesville is also home to some of the top lameness clinics and veterinarians in the country.
- Old Dominion Equine Associates
- Keswick Equine Clinic
- Ragged Mountain Equine Services
- Blue Ridge Equine Clinic
- Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical Center
Camps and Kid’s Programs
There are many great activities for Kids to participate in around Albemarle County. From Camps to Orginizations like pony club and 4-H that meet at Charlottesville horse farms each month, there is plenty here to keep even the youngest horse enthusiast entertained.
- Hoof N Woof 4-H Club
- Virginia Region Pony Clubs
- Camp Friendship
- New Meadow Camp
- Iron Mountain Horse Camp
- Camp Horizons