How to prepare your Charlottesville horse farm for winter.
Winter is a time when horse farm owners experience different hazards and accidents, particularly with their horses. Now is the best time to prepare your Charlottesville VA horse farm for winter before severe weather conditions and frigid temperatures arrive.
Your horses’ health and safety should be a priority, especially during winter. Proper planning and careful preparation will help ensure that your horses will be protected from the elements and have an adequate supply of food and water during winter.
Here are some precautions you can take on your Charlottesville equestrian property to prepare it for winter:
- Provide dry shelter to protect your horses from the heavy snow and wind.
- Make sure that your horses have access to water that is not frozen.
- Increase the horses’ feed to provide their bodies sufficient energy to stay warm.
- Exercise caution around icy areas to avoid slips, falls, and injuries.
- Keep your horses away from de-icing chemicals, which can cause skin irritation, and antifreeze, which tastes sweet to animals but could be extremely toxic.
- Prevent pets and horses from getting near electrical cords. Tree lights and outdoor lights can be a hazard to your horses. Keep them out of reach of animals.
- Exercise caution when using portable heaters around animals as heaters can be a potential burn hazard as well as a fire hazard.
These 7 tips will help you avoid winter hazards in your Charlottesville horse farm and ensure that your horses receive proper protection, health, and safety during winter.
Leave a Reply